Pages

Thursday 17 January 2019

Activity 3: Weird and Wonderful

New Zealand is just one of many countries that has amazing plants and trees. In fact, the African desert is home to some pretty incredible plants, like the cactus. Some cacti are able to survive on as little as 3 millilitres (ml) of water a day. Wow!
Let’s imagine that you are given a cactus for your birthday. To keep it alive, you must give it 3 ml of water every day.
Over one full year, how much water will you need to give your cactus plant?
On your blog, tell us how to solve this maths problem. You can write your answer in words, use a Sketchpad image, or post a video explaining how you would figure it out. Be sure to give us your final answer in millilitres (ml).

Since there are 365 days in a year I multiplied 3 by 300 (900) and then multiplied 3 by 65 (195) and I then added both totals together which makes 1095ml

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Alex,

    This is some great math solving that you have done here! I like how you showed all of your working so I can see how you got the answer. Have you ever grown a plant at home?

    Keep up the great blogging!

    Talk soon,

    Sophie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Alex,

    Well done for completing this activity. I finished this activity too. It's great to see you completing these activities during these summer holidays. Thanks for sharing your learning about this activity. Did you enjoy doing this task? Why? Your answer to this question is correct. I got exactly the same answer as you. I also used the same formula as you. 1095ml was my answer too, because I did 3ml each day times 365 days in a year.

    NICE:)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.