Pages

Thursday 17 January 2019

Activity 1: The Southern Lights

Once in a while a very special event takes place in New Zealand. It is a show of beautiful, bright lights that appear in the sky over the South Island. The lights are called the ‘Aurora Australis’ or ‘Southern Lights.’ They are similar to the ‘Northern Lights’ that are often seen in places like Northern Canada, Iceland, Sweden, Finland and Denmark. The southern and northern lights are so stunning that they often leave people, who are watching them, speechless.
For this activity, you are to write a short acrostic word poem about the beautiful lights. Hazel has written an acrostic poem about summer to give you an example.
S - Sun outside,
U - Umbrellas in the sand.
M -  My friends and I, having fun,
M - Making sandcastles,
E - Enjoying ice cream on a hot day,
R - Racing to the beach!
On your blog, use the word ‘LIGHTS’ to write an acrostic poem about the Southern Lights. Be as creative as you can!
Large lights illuminate the sky
In my house I watch closely by
Giant stars speckle the world
Highlighting the beauty of the night
The wonders of the southern lights
Show a whole new world.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there Alex,

    I want to express how impressed I am with all the work you've been putting into your blog posts. There are a lot of SLJ activities but you've managed to push through and complete every single one.

    Congratulations to you from myself and the SLJ team for finishing the entire programme. You have come a long way and you should feel proud of yourself for achieving this goal over summer. What a great start to the year!

    I really enjoyed reading your poem about the southern lights. Even though it was a short acrostic poem with only 6 letters to work with, you have managed to touch the reader's heart! I love how you have used words such as highlighting, beauty, wonders and a new world. It does make your poem sound more dramatic and magical.

    Would you like to see auroras in real life? It is actually on my bucket list because I have to check it out myself to finally believe that they are real. I cannot believe how this is the work of mother nature.. how surreal!! I would be mesmerised by its beauty.

    Thank you for sharing this poem with us,
    Susie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Alex,
    Well done for completing another task on the Summer Learning Journey. I hope you enjoyed your summer break. I really enjoyed reading your blog posts. I really like your poem. Next time put it on a google Draw. I also like how you added a picture of light so people know what it is about.

    Was this activity hard or easy?

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings Alex,


    Well done for completing this activity. I finished this activity too. It's great to see you completing these activities during these summer holidays. Thanks for sharing your learning about this activity. Did you enjoy doing this task? The image of the Lights is shocking. I love it. Your poem is amazing. You have used amazing words to describe this image.

    NICE:)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.