Pages

Thursday 17 January 2019

Activity 1: Weaving a Tall Tale…

There is a long history in New Zealand of collecting natural plants, including flax (harakeke), and using them to create cloaks, baskets (kete), mats, traps and ropes. Flax weaving is an art form. It can take years for people to perfect the art of weaving. Have you ever tried it?
For this activity, you are asked to watch a short video of someone weaving a fish (ika) out of flax.
On your blog, tell us whether or not you would like to try flax weaving. Does it interest you? Why or why not?
I would try flax weaving because it's something new and who knows? I might actually be good at it, even if it turns out that I'm not that good at it at least I'll know how to do it if I want to continue it a a hobby.

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Alex,

    This is Susie from the SLJ team. I am thrilled to hear that you want to try flax weaving. Good on you for having such a positive attitude towards learning - I agree with you that we never know until we jump in and try something. It could maybe lead to an opportunity you've never thought of and open many doors.

    I know how scary it feels when it comes to trying something new but I think anything is better than having regrets for not giving it a shot. If you could create anything out of flax, what would it be? Some students that I've come across have told me that they want to make a fan, a basket, or even mats! What do you think?

    Ka kite,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Alex,


    Well done for completing this activity. I finished this activity too. It's great to see you completing these activities during these summer holidays. Thanks for sharing your learning about this activity. Did you enjoy doing this task? Why? I know right flaxing would be a great thing to do, because it is something new to a lot of people. Has any of your family members flaxed yet?

    NICE:)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.