Pages

Thursday 17 January 2019

Activity 1: Bird of the Year!

Aotearoa New Zealand is home to many different kinds (species) of native birds.  Sadly, about a third of our native bird species are at risk of disappearing forever (becoming extinct).
Each year, Forest and Bird New Zealand hold a ‘Bird of the Year’ competition where people can vote for their favourite native bird. This year, the winner was the kererū (or woodpigeon).
Go onto the Bird of the Year website, look through the native birds on the site, and choose one that interests you.
On your blog, write a short description of your bird. Where does your bird normally live? What does your bird normally eat?  Post a picture of the bird underneath your description. Be sure to attribute your picture properly.

The bird I chose is called the Black-fronted Tern (Tarapiroe), they live in coastal areas, they eat earthworms, grass grub larvae and skinks.
.Image result for what do black-fronted tern eat

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Alex,

    Wow what a beautiful bird! Can you tell me a little bit more about what it does, where it is found in the world? I think it is awesome that you have chosen a bird that is significant to Māori culture and people. Did you know that the population of the Black-fronted tern has declined significantly since the European settlement? I found this information on this website, i will link it to you: http://nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/black-fronted-tern

    Have you ever seen a Black-fronted tern before? Let me know what it looks like in the comment section


    Blog you later!
    Georgia E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Alex,


    Well done for completing this activity. I finished this activity too. It's great to see you completing these activities during these summer holidays. Thanks for sharing your learning about this activity. Did you enjoy doing this task? I chose a different bird, which was the Black Robins family. Was you bird in serious trouble, because my one was. I enjoyed reading information about your bird.

    NICE:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Alex,
    Well done for completing another task on the Summer Learning Journey. I hope you enjoyed your summer break. I really enjoyed reading your blog posts. I really like your choice. I choose a different bird. I really like how you told us where the bird lives and what it eats.

    Have you seen that bird around yet?

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.