Pages

Tuesday 21 January 2020

Summer Learning Journey: Week 1 Day 1

For this activity, make a list of ten food items that you could take with you. Please think carefully about what you will take as you won’t have access to a refrigerator or freezer while at sea. Please explain why you would select each item.

On your blog, post your list of 10 food items you would take on an ocean voyage and the reasons why you chose these items.

1. A Pineapple - Because they taste nice.
2. Canned Food - Because they last long.
3. Canned Peaches - Because they last long.
4. Canned Spaghetti - Because they last long.
5. Canned Tomatoes - Because they last long.
6. Canned Beetroot - Because they last long.
7. Canned Tuna - Because they last long.
8. Canned Corn - Because they last long.
9. Muesli Bars - Because they have lots of protein.
10. Trail Mix - Because there's lots of protein.

For this activity we would like you to think about your own experiences and your own cultural background. Where does your family come from? Do they come from Europe like Abel Tasman, Polynesia like Kupe, or somewhere else?

On your blog, please tell us about your cultural background. Where do you and your family come from?


My family has two different sides; My Dad's side is mainly European (English & Irish), and my Mum's from Samoa.

For this activity, please select a charity that you are interested in. You may choose your own or use one from our list (below). Read about the charity.

On your blog, write a short explanation of what the charity does.


I picked the SPCA, the SPCA is an animal charity that helps stray and injured animals find a good home. Over 40,000 pets are adopted from the SPCA every year in New Zealand.

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Alex

    How're you going? I was wondering where you were this whole summer. Can you please tell me, did you use the downloadable version over your holidays?
    I'm just curious to know how you completed the programme so quickly!

    Thanks so much for completing 3 activities in the 1 post, that definitely helps us in our responding to you! I'm going to respond to activity 2, Discovering Aotearoa - do you mind elaborating on this activity for me, Alex? Do you know anything else about your heritage?
    For instance, I have Scottish heritage and this apparently links us to Knights. How cool, ey?

    It would be great if you could please elaborate on the other two activities as well, for instance, for activity 1, Setting Sail - other than these canned goods lasting a while, why else did you pick each individual item? Also for the final activity, Scaling New Heights, do you know what the SPCA stands for? (great choice, by the way).

    I'll keep an eye on this blog post for when you respond - and please do! I'll give you full points if you can elaborate these blog posts further.

    Kia kaha,
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jordan,

      I don't really know much more about my heritage, although my paternal side of the family is said to be related to an Irish family with the same name. Also, SPCA stands for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

      And to answer your questions, I just sat down and got them all done in a day. I didn't even know about the downloadable version.

      Thanks,

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.