Pages

Monday 17 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 1 Day 1 Activity 1: Top 3 Fun Facts

According to Māori mythology, much of Aotearoa New Zealand was formed when Māui, a powerful demigod, fished it out of the sea. Legend has it that Māui created a magical fish hook from the jawbone of his grandmother and that one day he took his hook, boarded a boat, and rode out into the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Once at sea, he threw his magical hook into the water and caught a fish. This ‘fish’ was actually the North Island of New Zealand! In honour of this legend, the North Island of New Zealand is sometimes referred to as Te Ika a Māui or ‘Māui’s fish’ and the South Island of New Zealand is sometimes referred to as Te Waka a Māui or ‘Māui’s canoe’.
To learn more cool facts about New Zealand, check out the Tourism NZ website. Read the fun facts posted on the website and choose your ‘Top 3.’ On your blog, post your ‘Top 3 Fun Facts’ about NZ in your own words.

1. New Zealand was once a part of the territory of New South Wales and Australia.


I think this is an interesting fact for me because I didn't  know this before and I was wondering how different it would be if we were still governed by Australia and NSW.

2. Dairy farmers make 100 kilograms of butter and 65 kilograms of cheese every year for people living in New Zealand.

I chose this fact because that's a lot of butter and cheese since there are millions of people in New Zealand.

3. The Auckland City Sky Tower is the tallest freestanding structure in the Southern Hemisphere because it's 328 meters high.

This is an interesting fact because having such a big structure really puts our country on the map and makes it a tourist attraction.

9 comments:

  1. Kia ora Alex,

    Welcome to the Summer Learning Journey! You probably remember me from when I spoke at assembly about the Summer Learning Journey. I am going to be reading and commenting on your blog posts over the summer.

    Thanks for sharing these great facts about New Zealand. It is crazy how tall the Sky Tower is!

    Keep up the awesome work! I will talk to you in your next post.

    Cheers,

    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alex

    This is a great information you gave us. My favorite fact was that New Zealand was part of the territory of New South Wales and later part of Australia.

    Great keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex!
    Why haven't you been posting? I think you should post more to get more knowledge especially during the holidays.
    Keep blogging! - Florence

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Alex! Great on completing this Activity. I like the explanations for each fact of why you chose that to be in your top 3. Good luck on completing more in the future if you do. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alex,
    I like how you explained why those were interesting to you. I think you should write your own blurb rather than copy and pasting it from the site. Did you know any of these facts before.

    Otherwise Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alex,

    What an amazing blog post from you. I love the fun facts that you've posted. I love cheese, but not butter. Do you love butter/cheese? Why? I enjoyed reading these facts, because some of them were interesting. By the way congratulations for completing your first activity. I can see that your starting to put a lot of effort into the SLJ.

    Nice One!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ALex,
    Those are some fun facts you have about New Zealand. Most of the facts were nice and interesting. Have fun on completing more activities.
    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings Alex
    What's your favorite activity doing? Next time you could blog your comments to earn more points! You are doing so well in the summer learning journey and I hope it continues.


    Keep It up Alex!
    By Chavda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kia Ora Alex,

    My name is Araura and I am from Wesley Primary School.

    First of all congratulations on your amazing post. I really like the facts you shared with us, I cannot believe how tall the sky tower is.

    Good luck on creating more posts.

    Blog you later Bye 😀

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.